Sunday, March 2, 2014

Cougar Communication: Feedback and Purpose Games


Cougar Communication

Excellence in Education: Feedback
Last Friday, I visited classrooms that I normally don’t visit. Among my last stops were Mr. Yonkey’s and Ms. Deavers’ classrooms. Please understand, that I have absolutely no musical talent, so I’m always amazed by our students’ talent. As an educator, every time I enter these classes, one thing stands out: the feedback provided to the students. While some of us might scoff, “It’s easier in music than (insert name of subject),” I’d like to point out why the feedback provided by Mr. Yonkey and Ms. Deavers is something we should all strive for.

1.     The students knew what was expected of them. It’s hard to provide feedback to students if they don’t know where they’re going. By sharing the goal/objective/target with the students and constantly referring to how the students are progressing towards the goal, feedback becomes more effective. Feedback is most effective when it relates to how the learner is advancing towards meeting the goal.
2.     It’s very specific. Instead of simply praising or criticizing, their feedback is pinpointed. “More air.” “Be sure to come in on…” Feedback is more effective when it provides true information on what the learner is or is not doing.
3.     The feedback is presented in a non-threatening way. As experts, it’s often easy for us provide too much feedback or to overpower the students with our feedback. Instead, of simply directing the students to do it this way, the .
4.     Feedback led to improvement. The whole purpose of feedback is for students to improve and become more aware of their learning. Because Mr. Yonkey and Ms. Deavers provided quality feedback, students were able to monitor their own progress and improve. Even my tone-deaf ears noticed the improvement, so I’m sure the students felt satisfaction and pride in their improvement efforts.

Ideas for the Classroom: Purpose Games
I don’t know why I haven’t shared this one before, but it’s a great site.

Purpose games is totally free to create and play. You can create either multiple choice games or use images. The latter gives you so many options: maps, identifications, parts of something, etc. Of course, many games have already been created and are public but creating your own games is easy.

Two options I really like:
1.     You can make your games public or private (only those you invite are allowed to play, but you can also create a group for your class)
2.     The Challenge option where students can challenge other students (they have to create their own accounts).

Check it out; I think you'll like it. 

Administrative Notes
Positive Referral Link: http://goo.gl/cZIXm7

**First term, I asked for each of you to invite me to observe a lesson that stood out for its creativity and student-centeredness. Thank you to those of you who invited me to observe some wonderful lessons. If you haven’t yet extended an invitation, please don’t forget to do so.** 

Monday’s #vachat: Motivating All Students. I chose this topic because at our December faculty meeting, many of you asked for strategies to help motivate students. It will also be part of our March faculty meeting. Join us at 8. Use www.tweetchat.com/room/vachat  to load the live stream and to participate.

Don’t forget to sign up for one of 3 “local” edcamps.
March 29: Edcamp Arlington http://edcamp.wikispaces.com/Edcamp+Arlington
April 5: Edcamp Metro DC (Bethesda/Rockville) http://edcampmetrodc.org/ (just realized I’m in the picture)
May 17: Edcamp RVA (Richmond) https://edcamp.wikispaces.com/edcamp+RVA

I’m trying to share with the public (via twitter and our school webpage) all the great things that are happening here at KR. Please shoot me an email or stop me in the hall when you have something cool, special, awesome, etc. going on in your classroom. My goal is to get at least 2 a day.



Tweet of the Week





What I’m Reading
Control: Snap Out of It : Encouraging student learning





No comments:

Post a Comment